What is Multimedia ?
- Sound, music, animations, videos, movies and images etc which you can see or hear present under the term “multimedia”.
- Multimedia can have various different-different formats.Modern web browsers have support for many multimedia formats.
- Various multimedia items like sound, video, music animation are stroed in different-different media files.
- These multimedia files contains their own formats or extensions like .mp3, .mp4, .wmv, .wav etc.
- Following table shows the various different-different video formats, their extensions and their description:
|AVI||.avi||AVI is a short form of “Audio Video Interleave”. It was developed by the Microsoft. It is suitable for windows computer but not for the web browsers. This format is basically used in the TV hardwares and Video cameras etc.|
|Flash (Shockwave) was developed by the Macromedia. Flash requires an extra component to play but this component comes preinstalled with web browsers like Firefox and Internet Explorer.|
|The full form of MPEG is “Moving Pictures Expert Group”. It is the most popular format on the internet. It is cross-platform, and supported by all the most popular web browsers.|
|Mpeg-4||.mp4||Mpeg-4 is the new format for the internet.More and more online video publishers ( like YouTube) are moving to MP4 as the internet sharing format for both Flash players and HTML5.|
|QuickTime||.mov||The QuickTime was developed by Apple. QuickTime is a common format on the Internet, but QuickTime movies cannot be played on a Windows computer without an extra (free) component installed.|
|The RealVideo format was developed by the Real Media for the Internet. The format allows streaming of video (on-line video, Internet TV) with low bandwidths because of the low bandwidth priority, quality is often reduced.|
|WMV||.wmv||WMV is the short form of Windows Media format.The Windows Media format is developed by Microsoft. Windows Media is a common format on the Internet, but Windows Media movies cannot be played on non-Windows computer without an extra (free) component installed.|
- Following table shows the various different-different sound formats, their extensions and their description:
Sound Formats Format Extension Description MIDI .mid
MIDI stands for “Musical Instrument Digital Interface”. The MIDI is a format for electronic music devices like synthesizers and PC sound cards. MIDI files do not contain sound, but digital musical instructions (notes) that can be played by electronics (like your PC’s sound card). MP3 .mp3
MP3 files are actually the sound part of MPEG files. The MPEG format was originally developed for video by the Moving Pictures Experts Group. MP3 is one of the most popular sound formats for music. RealAudio .rm
The RealAudio format was developed for the Internet by Real Media. The format also supports video. The format allows streaming of audio with low bandwidths. Because of the low bandwidth priority, quality is often reduced. Wave .wav The Wave (waveform) format was developed by IBM and Microsoft. It is supported by all computers running Windows, and by all the most popular web browsers (except Google Chrome). WMA .wma The WMA is a short form of Windows Media Audio, compares in quality to MP3, and is compatible with most players, except the iPod.